Mulching Potatoes | Home & Garden
After you have hilled your potatoes up a few times and you don't have any soil left in your rows to DO any more hilling it's a good idea to mulch them. If you can afford it buy a salt hay type mulch which has little to no weed seed in it. Apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch and again it is ok to nearly cover the leaves of the plant. The mulch keeps weeds out and moisture in and also prevents sunlight from reaching any tubers that may come to the surface. If sunlight hits your exposed potatoes they will turn green and become inedible!
Upcoming Events near Bath - Brunswick
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date