Mulching Potatoes | Home & Garden
After you have hilled your potatoes up a few times and you don't have any soil left in your rows to DO any more hilling it's a good idea to mulch them. If you can afford it buy a salt hay type mulch which has little to no weed seed in it. Apply a 2-3 inch layer of mulch and again it is ok to nearly cover the leaves of the plant. The mulch keeps weeds out and moisture in and also prevents sunlight from reaching any tubers that may come to the surface. If sunlight hits your exposed potatoes they will turn green and become inedible!
Upcoming Events near Bath - Brunswick
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Washburn-Norlands Living History Center Receives $15,000 Grant to Restore Historic Windows
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Auburn for Interested Families
- Strawberry Festival and Living History Heritage Day at the Norlands
- Comedy Fix XIV to benefit GAHS
- Comedy Night at Narals