Union votes to ratify new contract for BIW workers | News
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Shipbuilders who are represented by the Machinists union have overwhelmingly ratified a new four-year contract that includes pension enhancements and wage increases.
The agreement was approved Sunday by a 1,610-342 vote, which was conducted at the Augusta Civic Center.
Machinists spokesman John Carr says it's a solid contract that's the best in the shipbuilding industry. Carr says the workers will receive a $3,000 bonus, in addition to pay increases. Averaged out over the work force, the pay increase will be 6.145 percent in the first year; by the fourth year, the increase will be 11.25 percent over the old contract.
The old contract expired Sunday.
BIW spokesman Jim DeMartini said before the vote that the agreement calls for "competitive wages and benefits."
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Upcoming Events near Bath - Brunswick
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- This is Home promo featuring the Yarmouth Clam Festival
- Food company grant has been established in Maine to train new dairy farmers.
- Mainers celebrate Social Media Day (#SMDayME)
- Local business filling order for big client
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Freeport for Interested Families
- Washburn-Norlands Living History Center Receives $15,000 Grant to Restore Historic Windows
- 1st Statewide Virtual Public School Hosts In-Person Info Session in Auburn for Interested Families
- Strawberry Festival and Living History Heritage Day at the Norlands
- Comedy Fix XIV to benefit GAHS
- Comedy Night at Narals