BRUNSWICK, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The Brunswick Fire Department notified residents at 9 Dunning Street Wednesday morning that they had until midnight to move out.
Citing numerous life and fire concerns, the department has deemed the building to be "uninhabitable."
The department's concerns include: egress obstructions, insufficient secondary means of escape from within a unit, and ongoing concerns with proper smoke and carbon monoxide detection.
Tenants said they were happy living in the building, and had no idea there were safety concerns.
"It was a complete shock to everybody in the building," said tenant Bud Moody. "No one saw this coming at all."
But according to Deputy Chief Jeff Emerson, the property owner has known about the safety concerns for nearly a year.